Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Just. Say. Something.

(Many thanks for your patience.  I'm not going to pretend that I haven't been gone, but I am going to just keep it moving...)


“The Journey Home”

Being home in Jersey was great, but I think we stayed a hair too long.  It actually was a little sad leaving.  There was almost a routine happening, and I could sense a very pleasant reality where HomeBoy & I could be near our families all the time.  Islamic studies every Sunday with one sisterfriend, weekly Sunday brunches with another, house  parties-turn-sleepovers at my Brooklyn Bgirl’s crib and plenty of time to spend quality time with those I can only currently claim as cyber companions (and Spelman sisters, of course).  Not to mention roadtrips to PA to see a niece and nephew who have to take my brother’s word that they have another aunt – out there somewhere.  I could spend more time with my parents and my married family (I don't really like "in-laws") and my grandmother and my little bro and sis who are entering their senior and junior years of high school (respectively).  But this is not me talking myself into relocation; this is just me envisioning alternate reality.  (Not the first time.  Won’t be the last.)

***

“This Is My House. I Build It”

The living room is done, for all intents and purposes.  The dining room needs at least two more coats of paint (it’s a dark color, so I don’t want to risk it).  Actual décor is a different matter entirely; we’re just trying to get the furniture back downstairs right now.  I’m swooning at the thought of buying art and hanging photos.  And I don’t mean the good “so enraptured in takes my breath away” kind of swoon, I just mean the faint-y kind.  But the house is still standing; the minor leaks we were having are finally fixed, and the growing season is over.  So no more Jumanji in the yard.  Though, a “concerned” neighbor did take it upon himself to cut our front bushes because they were, and I quote, “dangerous to look at”.  The coward did it while we were out of town, and he left one behind.  I’m told they look really nice in the fall – prick.

***

“Friends Graduating”

So my homie has finished her M.A. and is a SAG card carrying (she was already bona fide) actor.  She’s gone on to that big apple, so she can be apart of it.  I miss her already. 


Another friend transitioned last week, after her third bout with the “C” word – sucks I can’t even type it.  She was more than a friend.  She was the first friend I had in this land of Oz; she is the reason I know many of the dynamic women that I do.  She was a super cool Bronx girl who is heroic in my mind.  She was a fly photographer and a woman of God, she volunteered and brought people together.  She translated for me, “Price Chopper is like our Shop Rite back home…and Blue Belle ice cream – that’s like Turkey Hill.”  The last time I saw her, we were driving her to a doctor’s appointment, and she remarked, “Ain’t that something?  My little sister taking care of me.”  It wasn't so serious then – it was just some back and neck pain as far as we knew.  I wish I could’ve taken better care of her… for longer… At the service, her pastor said, “Be glad!  She’s not coming back here – she’s graduated!”  I know God's plan is THE plan, and she's not in pain anymore.  And the service was a comfort - a joyous time of remembrance, but still I wish her commencement felt less like an ending.  I love you Sis.


edited to include:

(how funny I am to apologize - to assume i have "readership".  i love yous guys who do check me out, but it's not like the WSJ didn't print or something... ;+)

4 comments:

wild cowgirl said...

change is so passive aggressive.
if we don't move with it, then we continue to feel safe + content...for a bit.
if we do move with it, then we can momentarily be swept up in uncertainty..again, just for a bit.

amyherring said...

this doesn't speak to any of the important points you made in this post...but omg, you made me miss arkansas when you said that blue belle was like turkey hill! i would LOVE to be able to hear that blue belle homemade ice cream song on the radio...

teresa said...

cowgirl - i'd take swept up uncertainty over safe contentment any day

amy - blue belle has radio commercials? wow! i didn't know it was so serious! ;+)

amyherring said...

i searched the internet (high and low) for that blue bell song to send to you...but i can't find it. apparently, they're now doing "cool" commercials that don't feature twangy jingles. you should get moya to sing it to you next time you talk to her; i'm sure she knows all the words.