Thursday, June 07, 2007

suspicion confirmed...case closed...

The first time I saw a commercial for the new tbs series "House of Payne", I had the strangest feeling that it would be horrible and I would hate it. Though I trust my intuition, I thought this feeling may be a personal bias masquerading as intuition. So, I watched the premiere last night (well, one episode of it), and sure enough - it was horrible, but I didn't hate it. I felt too embarrassed to hate it; surely the creator believed in this show. The network believed in this show, and here was the first episode failing miserably. Even the automated laughing sounded forced (either that or a live studio audience was half asleep), and the guest appearance of Madea didn't help. Her ignorant humor doesn't translate too well on the small screen; Perry's inexperience is evident, and his jokes are over articulated. (You know, like when a cornball says something he thinks is funny, but gets no response so he repeats himself with the hope that people will hear it and laugh the second time?) The high points? Keke Palmer as the school yard bully and China Anne McClain as Jazmine Payne, whose character can be described in one infamous word "fresh" (as in "don't be fresh!"). It had that car wreck appeal the first time around, but I won't be watching it again. There are some things, apparently, even a big black man in a dress can't save (i.e. see also "Norbit" and sequel to "Big Mama's House").

Poor tbs, they've agree to 100 episodes of this nonsense.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate it

Anonymous said...

that was me

wild cowgirl said...

...my brother is on an episode...
i am so proud.
i am so ashamed.

teresa said...

lol! don't be ashamed! it's a prime time show on a major network. that's good for him. your bro' isn't responsible for the writing.

The People Could Fly Project said...

haven;t seen it, but i wondered
how it coudl be good
or how they would make that into a tv
show..

jb said...

i saw 2/3 of 1 episode for research purposes. i thought cassi davis was decent. it is horrible tv in every way. the writing, the acting, the comic lack of timing. i mean there are black professionals who can write good TV (see Bernie Mac show and/or Eveybody Hates Chris) so its incredibly unfortunate that TP and crew are taking Black TV, f it, TV period, back to black and white ages. Actually I take that back. There were plenty good black and white sitcoms. HOP is pure boo boo!