Saturday, June 14, 2008

this old house...

So the homeowner honeymoon is over. "Charm" and "character" and "architectural detail" are all well and good, but there's still work to be done. Operation hardwood redux has come to a successful close (mostly). We still have to put new trim on, but the downstairs floors have gone from this:


to this:



Not too shabby. Homeboy & I are happy with the finished product, but now it has jump-started a half dozen other renovation projects. Since I cannot talk about more than one home improvement project at a time for fear that my head will explode, let's start with something (that should be) simple - painting.

Ah, yes. The easy interior face-lift. We opted for a mustard yellow in the living room (and by "we" I mean "I" because this whole design thing is not Homeboy's bag; he'll humor me but that's about it). When we first applied the color to the walls, I had an uncontrollable urge for Nathan's hot dogs, but once the furniture came back into the room, I felt much better about the choice.

So now that the living room is empty again (thanks to the refinishing project), we can tackle the painting once more. Now the question is the trim and fireplace. Keep it light, or go darker? I'm keeping in mind that the LR opens into the DR, so whatever trim color I chose has to complement the palettes of both rooms. Here's the color scheme in the LR:

(above pics: 1) LR with furniture in it 2) curtain closeup -- both stripes and floral pattern are in the room 3) microfiber dark brown additional seating - dusty chocolate brown)

Here's what we have in the DR so far:



(pay no attention to the green & white tragedy in the background.)

I know for sure that orange will be the accent color in the DR -- what shade I don't know. Other colors I'm digging for this room include cream, taupe, chocolate, powder blue or mauve (to accent the accent). My inspiration was this pot holder I picked up in a quirky little shop:



You've seen all the evidence, ladies and gentlemen. On the question of trim color, what's the verdict? So far, the jury's still out on this one...

edited (6/15) to include:  Oh yes, I am definitely painting the DR.  So I'm open for wall color suggestions as well as trim color suggestions. 

5 comments:

a black girl said...

Yay!!!! How gorgeous!

I think I am down for a complimentary burnt orange to a vibrant (but slightly muted) cranberry for the trim in the yellow rooms.

Beautiful floors!!!

wild cowgirl said...

wrap this project up so we can move onto the color schemes for MY guest room. you know, the one strictly reserved for me.
...i look forward to it too girl!

teresa said...

black girl - there's only one yellow room; it's just 2 different shots of the LR. that cranberry idea is kind of funky. i was thinking along the lines of an off-white (like parchment paper) or chocolate, but the cranberry could work. (and thank you!)

cowgirl - lol! my sister says the same thing. i think i've figured out how to accommodate everyone with their "own room" - monogram soap &/ or washcloths! hooray!

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

loooks good
Nice spot u have here, hope u don’t mind the drive by, do chk me out one day

rawdawgbuffalo and if u like what u read, maybe u will come back, even Blog Roll Me

viridiansun said...

yay! I LOVE the living room palette and I definitely think the pot holder inspired color scheme for the dining room is a good look.

The fireplace trim is a little tricky but i'm thinking maybe darker. Perhaps a milk chocolate or an olive or oregano sort of green...but I'm really unsure of that.

I couldn't tell if you were planning to paint the walls in the DR, but if you are, I definitely dig the mauve in the pot holder or to switch things up, perhaps a Sage sort of green (I don't know where all of these herbs are coming from). I think subtle blue undertones would keep the room from turning too orangy and help create separation from the warm reds and mustard in the LR. Oh and that art deco-esque dining set is perfection btw.

what a home!