Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Twenty-Something Tuesdays 1.3

"If I was twenty-five again,
I would think less and feel more. Plan less and do more. Fear less and go forth with no plan, no expectation, no rumination. Just feel."
-An Amazing Woman




This amazes me
because it is so contrary to what so many of us have been told. As soon as we've learned to think for ourselves, we are expected to do it all the time. And in that thinking, we are supposed to prepare ourselves for the road ahead and err on the side of caution. Rationalize. Organize. Prioritize. If the answer for doing something was simply, "because I feel like it" it was assumed that person was being irresponsible or fresh (or both).

But so much good can come from abandoning those precepts - art for one. I've heard on more than one occasion that it is through suffering that the purest artist comes forth. Now, I'm not about to cosign that one go through her life miserable to make great art (though to each her own). Yet, imagine if we did not even indulge that anguish or any feeling at all? If we did not permit ourselves to feel whimsy, there might be no fiction. Without pain -- no great tragedies, and perhaps considerably fewer comedies. Without sarcasm -- no theater of the absurd (and no Woody Allen, for that matter). And that's only a slice of the literary and dramatic arts. How many great works would be lost to us, if artists were afraid of how their work would be perceived or judged? Furthermore, inspiration is nothing if not spontaneous creativity. That Muse everybody talks about? She's real, and in my experience she never comes when I sit around thinking about her.

Now, there is a time and place for everything. Thought, planning and fear exist, so they must be here for a reason. I'm not suggesting we throw caution to the wind with no regard for the repercussions of our actions (even if we can use the excuse of being young and foolish), but we cannot be immobilized by our right brains. We can learn a lot from Hamlet, who thought himself into inaction, though intensely passionate he was. Leave a little room for thinking, planning and fear but only an under-the-seat or overhead compartment's worth. If it's more than will fit in there, then check them at the door and quickly, lest life takes off without us.


10 comments:

Muze said...

whew. this post couldn't be more truer if Jesus himself had written it. lol.

seriously. i love your blog. glad i stumbled upon it.

i'm only 26, but two and a half years of being with someone who felt that concise planning and scheduling was the only way to live life has dimmed my 'go with the flow' nature a bit, i can admit that. i'm currently trying to fall back into myself. lol.

the best experiences, art, poetry, and writings i've had and created thus far have pretty much ALL come from that 'muse'. i'd get what i call 'genius' idea or thought and run with it. and it always worked.

i can't even imagine life without the whim. the carefree. the 'feeling' you get when you just know something is right, even if common sense and realists tell you that it is nonsensical or unpractical. you are right, we'd be missing out on so much genius. so much talent. because if done too much, planning, thinking too much, and fear stifles. something serious.

great post. mind if i link your blog?

Don said...

i agree, this post is filled with well understood insight. i also agree about how the muse never appears when a person sits around thinking about her.

How many great works would be lost to us, if artists were afraid of how their work would be perceived or judged? exactly. ultimately, the experience remains within the hands of the peson who creates.

Unknown said...

I tried to leave a comment but I didn't see it post, so I'm leaving the same one again.
I agree with your post and I would like to share a piece of my work with you.

My Muse

For a spell she strides with me
housed in my feet.
Then my joint pops 'cause
she's risen to my knee.
Up she comes from my bowels
into my chest,
and when I feel her there
I know what's coming next.
My heart gets warm
and then it's time.
Sure enough she ascends to my blade
and into my ear
she recites her sayings;
which are all well laid
and were gathered while walking
with me down below.
So over I roll to turn on my light.
I grab my pad and pen and
her poems I begin to write.
why look at the clock?
I can not stop.
If I was to lay back down
I'd just rock,
'til I got back up;
picked it back up
and wrote 'til she said:
"okay you can stop".
The clock keeps the time.
She keeps the rhyme
going through my mind
'til I let it have it's space
between the blue lines.
She's my muse.
Always sure to amuse.
She inspires me and says:
"honey, your pen is for you to use".
Then when her peice has been spoken
rest for me sets in
because I've come to yet
another end.
copyright 2006 by Justice Jones
Please visit my blog:
www.justicejones.blogspot.com
Thank you and make it a great day!!

Muze said...

very hott poem, justice.

Mary Beth said...

this is so brilliant t.

wild cowgirl said...

whoa. whoa. whoa.

phone date soon please.

cuz ughhhh....i'm tryna be IN THE KNOW!

tk said...

yet again your timing is so on point ... and your words give me permission to be content in my current state of uncertainty...

Alison said...

Hey,
Good one. What i needed to hear.

THanks
-ag

teresa said...

muze - thanks for stopping by a making your presence known. surely, i do not mind if you link me; i'd be quite flattered, honestly.

don - i make no attempts at universal truths, this has just been my truth so far. glad it resonates w/ you, though.

justice - thank you for the poem. i always appreciate the courage to exercise freedom of expression. (this was written as spoken-word, yes?)

mb - many thanks. but the woman who gave me this response, she is indeed brilliant.

cowgirl - let's make it happen. i don't know what i know, but girl you're welcome to it!

tk - well thank God for timing! i think we need to be okay with uncertainty (though much easier said than done), esp. as 20somethings - it pretty much comes with the territory.

alison - thanks for stopping by, alison. glad the words resonate, and again than God for timing.

Anonymous said...

humble grasshopper loves fruitfly