Tuesday, July 07, 2009


Truth is,

I hadn’t been listening to you recently.

You were like milk –

fortifying me in my youth,

but less tantalizing as I got older.

Sure you were still important,

but I needed you less and less…

Still you were a part of me,

as familiar and requisite in my world

as the building fund, alter prayer

and aluminum foil at the tips of cornrows.

Maybe I should have

shook my head in defiance

instead of in shame

because maybe you didn’t do those things you were accused of?

Should have been more vocal

instead of lending my silence to the swell

of rumors, cruel jokes and accusations.


When the news came, I didn’t believe.

But when it was confirmed,

I retreated into my catalogue and let the whole thing play.

You never miss the water…

or in this case, the milk.

I’ve kept my sadness to myself, mostly.

Not really wanting to join the throngs of mourners

whose sincerity is only outdone by their amnesia.

Could a little more kindness have saved your life?

Yes, you have Gone to Soon.

Yes, I Want You Back.

Yes, those are very clichéd things to say –

I guess that means I’m just like all the others.

But you are not, and you never were.

3 comments:

lauren said...

I'm really thankful to be learning what a difference he made in people's lives. And I love that he's being looked at (by many/most) with compassion rather than condemnation. We each have a lot to learn as humans from his experience in the world. Thanks for sharing your experience of him.

Da CogNegro (Who is It?) said...

"Not really wanting to join the throngs of mourners

whose sincerity is only outdone by their amnesia."

Very Poignant. I too had this fear that my thoughts would appear contrived and yes we all have "hung our heads in shame" but who hasn't with someone we love and revered at one time or another? but those who really loved him still knew he was apart of us and

"as familiar and requisite in my world

as the building fund, alter prayer

and aluminum foil at the tips of cornrows."

-DS

JUST ME said...

That's a pretty damn good bunch of words there, missy.