Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Ramadan Reflections

(because, clearly, i'm a sucker for alliteration.)
**

Yesterday, I overheard someone say, “I’m starving.”

Really? Really?

It was the 3rd day of Ramadan, and my body was still adjusting. I wasn't walking around sad-faced and pitiful; my stomach didn't even growl too much. And I didn’t intend to indulge such dramatics. For one, it’s not becoming, and for two – it isn’t necessary.

However, hearing that hyperbolic turn of phrase (for surely she wasn’t serious) actually made me grateful for the fast. Through it, I will recognize hunger, but it will confirm that I know nothing of starvation. That’s one of the benefits of Ramadan; Muslims get closer to the experience of the unfortunate. Hopefully, it will not only make us more diligent in our compassion but more thankful for our bounty.

Ameen.


3 comments:

viridiansun said...

Amen for perspective lady.

JUST ME said...

3 days without eating and you're not homicidal?

You're a better woman than I.

teresa said...

the fasting only takes place during daylight hours, so it's okay. we eat before sunrise and break fast in the evening (iftar). it's the getting up so much earlier that requires the most adjustment for me.