Thursday, January 14, 2010

Ring the Alarm

I know that there’s nothing funny about theft – neither car theft nor home burglary nor any other kind tickle my funny bone, but I was just wondering if we could make the alarms themselves a little more…entertaining?

Our house alarm went off at 5:30 am a few days ago (everything is fine – triggered by a frozen pipe that burst in the basement…everything is sort of fine), and it has that terrible muted, fog horn thing going on. And we all know and loathe that now ubiquitous car alarm sound – the one that’s a combination of a house alarm, a clock radio alarm, a fire truck, a school bell and sirens (as in the ones who tried to lure Odysseus and his men to crash themselves into the jagged, pointy shore).

Anyway, you’d recognize an alarm as an alarm if it’s triggered unsuspectingly in the middle of the night or stupid o’clock in the morning. So why can’t we have different sounds – or phrases? Oh, or favorite songs or movie lines?! I nominate the following for consideration to make car and house alarms more (ahem) fun:

10. “I’m not touching you! I’m not touching you! I’m not touching you!”

9. Riding Along in My Automobile by Chuck Berry

8. “Back up! Back up! Mind ya’ bid-ness that’s all, just mind ya’ bid-ness!”

7. “Woo-Hoo! I’m the king of the world!”

6. “That’s what she said! That’s what she said! That’s what she said!”

5. “Goooood morning, Vietnam!”

4. The famous scream from Home Alone

3. Samuel Jackson narrating any number of warning phrases

2. Christopher Walken narrating any number of warning phrases

1. “I’m really happy for you. I’m gonna let you finish, but _______ was one of the best thieves of all time.”*


* This one is customizable!
You can input the name of your favorite larceny legend from history!

2 comments:

Da CogNegro (Who is It?) said...

LOLLLLL, Classic, I'm a sucker for list 3 was my personal favorite

You should add the sound of cash register to demonstrate how James Cameron is robbing everyone with that monster of hype called Avatar...

teresa said...

uh-oh, so you've seen it, then? i still have not, but i plan to in the near future. (not like i have to rush; i'm sure it will be in theaters until may.)