Monday, January 25, 2010

Twinkle, Twinkle, Movie Star

20 Reasons I LOVE Awards Shows (not necessarily in preferential order):



20) I love movies, even more now than when I was younger. (I was a serious kid, too serious.)

19) The attire. I admit it; I sit on my sofa like Caesar and issue a thumbs-up or down for every presenter and winner as they come on stage. It’s fun, too, to check out the internet the next day to see who agrees with me or not.

18) The opening – especially with the SAG awards. When the actors say their little intros it feels like an inside joke. Who doesn’t want to be on the inside of a movie/TV star’s inside joke? (PS – This year, Eddie Falco’s opening was hilarious.)

17) I love being right – when the nominee I think should win actually does, I get a little giddy.

16) I don’t mind being wrong – when the winner is a surprise to me, that’s okay too.

15) A hearty addition to my Netflix queue. Last year I actually watched the Oscars with pen and paper in hand; it’s necessary when some of the nominees haven’t even hit theaters yet. Crazy Heart? Congratulations, Jeff Bridges, now what was that about?

14) Invariably, somebody gets played off for talking too long – always funny.

13) The totally-scripted-but-act-natural dialogue that occurs between presenters before they actually get to announcing the nominees.

12) When cameras cut to the faces of the nominees who did not win.

11) When a winner is genuinely shocked and tongue-tied at the podium. Drew Barrymore was a bumbling mess at the Golden Globes and the SAG awards; I like her more now than ever.

10) Listening to laymen talk about their predictions; for a brief moment, everyone turns into a grad student studying film. (Like me, for instance…)

9) I get to imagine the wonderful, talent friends I have who will someday be at such glamorous events.

8) The announcer is usually a woman. (Take that, various commercials for goods and services who think that a male voice equals authority!)

7) When the host is great (I’m looking at you, Ellen DeGeneres).

6) Texting my friends during the show with such 140-character-or-less gold as “I don’t care if she DID win, I’m still not going to see it”, and “Clearly somebody called in a favor.”

5) I like cheering for the actors who I think are probably good and interesting people in real life. (Yay! Michael C. Hall!)

4) For the brief amount of time that the camera cuts to the audience, I like watching the inter-generational mingling of Hollywood past, Hollywood present, and Hollywood future.

3) The soapbox moment – there’s gotta be at least one.

2) Watching the movie awards is more productive than watching an actual movie because I can get things done during commercial breaks.

1) Helps me visualize for when I get there. You know, as a nominee, guest of a nominee, an announcer, an usher...whatever - I'm flexible!

6 comments:

JUST ME said...

I too enjoy watching the faces of those who did not win...I like to analyze of features of someone desperately trying not to picture killing the actual winner...

lauren said...

Oh, the in-between-awards fake dialogue...sometimes it makes me wonder why they're actors!

teresa said...

just me - the only ones who stay poised are the living legends w/ multiple wins under their belts already.

lauren - i prefer the fake dialogue to the flirting; it's worse at the music awards shows, but either way i don't want to hear that!

Da CogNegro (Who is It?) said...

19.I Hope you don't send them to the lion's pit. But if you do, can you send Joan Rivers there?



15.Told you so!!!


12.Priceless. To avoid that, pull an Eddie Murphy and just leave all together!


7.And not looking at Chris Rock


1.I'll be meeting you on the red carpet.

Abby said...

I like the interruptions by Kanye West...well...ok never mind. I think your list was very comprehensive!

Stephanie Yamashita said...

Hello. I stumbled across your blog and had to read your 20 reasons to watch Award Shows. I must say, I agree with all 20 of your reasons. Oscars are coming up!! So, have fun!