Wednesday, November 21, 2007

We are not aMUSED… Let it burn… [mis]fortune cookie…(ANTM)

Is it possible? Am I really going to do it? Can I really review last week’s episode before tonight and stop cheating you guys with two-fer entries? Try like hell, I will. Now, what happened last week…

This week (well, last week…you know what I mean) the girls were paired with fashion design students. Each model had to dialogue with her designer so that the designer could create a garment that reflected the model’s personality and style. The catch? The garment had to be repurposed from a light blue, church-lady-looking, polyester-rayon blended, two-piece dress suit. (I’d swear it had shoulder pads and everything!) Then, the models were put on the runway to show off the designs. The catch? The girls had to create a 2 or 3 line statement about their garment and how they inspired it. (And the walls come a-tumbling down…)

Everyone did a good job of modeling their garments; the speaking part is another monster entirely. Saleisha, Bianca, Jenah – all sold it. (Except, Bianca who said something about, “Cleopatra Jones with an attitude.” Excuse me boo-boo, but Cleopatra Jones had attitude to spare. What I think you meant, especially considering your dramatic eye make-up, was the actual Cleopatra. Moving on…) Saleisha – flirty and girly – check. Jenah – ballerina rock star – check. I don’t remember Chantal’s get-up, but I do remember Ambreal played up the “fun” in her style a little too much. Giant lollipop accessory? The tops. Skipping down the runway? Over the top. Lisa blundered the speaking portion, and I so don’t know why. I hate to think she didn’t take that part as seriously as the walking, but what other excuse is there? And Heather – poor Heather. Until now her slight awkwardness has been a bonus, but she completely blanked and bombed the speaking portion of this challenge. The words! They wouldn’t come! And she stood at the end of the runway with her mouth slightly agape – like she was waiting for them to fly in.

And speaking of bomb…

The photo shoot for this week was with a smoking hot accessory – no seriously, there was a car and it was set on fire. The ladies had to pose on/near/around/ (insert preposition of your choice here) said car, and they were in the middle of the desert no less! Bianca, Saleisha and Jenah (again) really impressed with their photos. Saleisha didn’t look sweet; Jenah looked distraught but still beautiful; and Bianca’s attitude worked for her (but it still doesn’t work for me). Miss Jay said she looked like she’d set the car on fire! (I think – maybe she did?) Lisa’s shot was too much about being in distress and not enough about being in THIS DRESS. Her best shot was sitting in a heap on the ground. Where are the lines, the silhouette in that pose? Exactly. Nowhere. Heather was still so defeated by the muse challenge that she couldn’t perform her best on set. Did she look good in her picture? Yes. Was it the worst one she’s taken so far? Yes. Unfortunately, I do not remember Ambreal’s picture, but I do remember the panel was not impressed. It came down to Lisa and Ambreal, and I bet I don’t need to tell you who went home.

The saddest part is that during panel, while Tyra talked about the “fabulous prizes”, we could see these traditional Chinese dragons popping up behind the judges. (You know, like the big costumes used during the Chinese New Year?) Well, Tyra announces to the girls that, “Seven girls stand before me, but only six will continue on to China and in hopes of becoming America’s Next Top Model.” So not only is Ambreal eliminated; she has to see what she’s about to miss! That sucks.

*I’m no cultural anthropologist or anything, but… um… I’m pretty sure those were dragons and not lions, Tyra. I’m just saying…

No comments: