Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Speaking of Oscar Nominees

(this awards season fixation will be over on Monday, so indulge me until then will you?)


I am so excited about the trajectory of animated features, and I look forward to a large-scale return to 2D animation. Don't get me wrong, the magic that CGI can create is, well, magical, but there is a beauty in the quality of hand drawn cartoons that I've only come to appreciate lately. Disney did it with The Princess and the Frog, and now Irish underdog, Tomm Moore, has popped up and landed in the category for best animated feature film with The Secret of Kells. There's an article in the Times about the feature and it's director. More importantly, there are stills. People! These beautiful, vibrant stills will take your breath. Add to the amazing art this story that Moore tries to keep as close to the history as possible, and you can't help but hope that this is the tipping point for animation. I know I do.

Here's the official U.S. trailer:



And the promotional trailer:

4 comments:

teresa said...

i thought you would - esp the cute, little white-haired girl. (i think her name is ashley.)

lauren said...

Wow. That looks beautiful. Don't even need to think about adding that to the list of must-sees...

Da CogNegro (Who is It?) said...

What a World of Wonderment (Say That Three Times Fast, No Really Say it)

Sey said...

love it