Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What's really good?




After reading this post over at twenty-something's blog, I thought more on what I conceal and reveal. I'm a pretty private person anyway, and I'm more likely to be guilty of leaving questions unanswered than over-sharing. Then why are you even blogging, Teresa? Geez!

Is it dishonest? To only talk about the good stuff? I often feel conflicted about sharing good or bad news; it’s a wonder I have anything at all to say. Ever. When I have bad news, I think to myself “I don’t want to bring anybody else down, and people have enough problems of their own to be worried about mine.” When I have good news, I think to myself “Share it, maybe, but don’t oversell it. Sure, it’s great that this cool thing has happened for you, but nobody likes a blowhard. Besides, somebody somewhere is going through a difficult time and may not be in a place to receive your good news.”

It probably sounds ridiculous. Folks are plenty nice and supportive and all, but I don’t think I’m brave enough to be that vulnerable. And I try not to go overboard on the inspirational stuff either because…well, angst and disappointment are funnier, and I tend to mock the overly optimistic. (We’re not all running around here a bunch of little Matilda’s and Fire-starters, sorry to say.)

Does sharing only the good do more harm? Is sharing the negative necessary?

7 comments:

Siona said...

i feel like sharing the negative helps u to get it out...and sometimes u need that...badly.

Zaedah said...

Conceal vs reveal is a terribly fine line. Every moment of conversation or blogging or even prayer calls for hat moment of 'wait, should I tell/share/hide this?' But we're a species of fine lines (wrinkles prove it, so all we can do is know ourselves and our audience and choose as wisely as momma taught us to : )

PrincessDipti said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Propoquerian said...

I struggle with how much to show all the time--with my boyfriends, with my roommates. I dont want to be that debbie downer who always sounds like there is no hope for anything...but I'm no fool...there are no certainties in anything! and I too think overly optimistic people are...well...silly? Realistic I like that.

you'll see on my blog i'm in this same limbo.

twistedtemper@blogspot.com

JUST ME said...

Hey, thanks for the blog shout out. You know what I think you should do? Just write everything you feel. Read it. And then if you don't regret what you've written, send it out there.

The Universe needs to know.

Sindy said...

I know you don't know me, but I was blog surfing, and read this post. I agree with you but what I do is keep a separate blog where I put my issues, sorry this is random once again~ :)

teresa said...

hey sindy, it's the internet - we don't have to know each other. ;) thanks for contributing to the conversation.