Friday, February 19, 2010

The Post Never Posted


The day before the grad school application was due, I wrote a mock post about how I didn’t get in and how I was okay with that. I felt like what the program offered was perfect for me but didn’t know if my recommendation letters arrived, and I was editing my writing sample and writing my personal statement (and rewriting and rewriting and rewriting) until just days before the entire packet was due.

I blame my duplicitous mind. On the one hand, I know that if something is meant for me I will have it. On the other hand, maybe this wasn’t for me. Maybe I was only meant to go through the application process to solidify in my mind whether or not I was dedicated to being a writer.

That post was filled with honest critiques of what I could have done better to prepare and affirmations about how not getting in isn’t the end of the world – very valid points, all. That post had flashbacks of my undergrad experience and uncertain musings about my future. That post was…eh…pretty well written, I guess. But I have no reason to publish that post, so you’ll have to take my word for it. ;)

3 comments:

Da CogNegro (Who is It?) said...

You should have put The Whammy in the middle of that Red X, he's the only one who thinks school is uncool....

viridiansun said...

I've been away.
you're totally worthy of this option. let's only imagine you getting in and them throwing a ton of cash at you ok? (and then i'll do the same for myself lol) great!

teresa said...

i did get in (hooray!); i don't know about them throwing money, but i guess that's what the scholarship scavenger hunt is for.