Tuesday, August 30, 2005

the terminal, an airport requiem in three parts

the following is a paraphrased a excerpt from the author's hand-written journal. viewer discretion is advised

26 August 2005 ~ 3:23pm

i'm on the first leg of my weekend journey. this means that i at least have a leg to stand on. praying on the shuttle like, "oh please God let there be space...I'll try really hard to behave." so, now just my end of the bargain left....when i looked online b4 i left work, the airtran site said "no seats available." my stomach was tight all the way from the westin (crown center) to the time i had the boarding pass in my hand. The nice lady at the ticket booth said i have to double check the status in atl. i'll be tense all over again. i hope to pass the time in atlanta with a few friendly faces at the west end mall or something. perhaps i will get a pedicure to pass the time - in true spelmanite fashion (what?! i have to go to a wedding. can't look janky!)

26 August 2005 ~ 10:20pm
i'm on the second leg of my journey now, and quite frankly, the gate attendant just bust me in the knee cap with a billy club. one told me i had a seat. another called me back up about four minutes later and took my boarding pass and put it in the trash. (said they were overbooked.) i want so badly to get on. i don't know what to do....God is able....i'm not giving up....she sounds vehement, so determined not to let anyone on!....it's killing me!....trying not to cry (while they're boarding)....please oh Lord, no more stand by this entire year! please make it so i can get on!....i walked onto the plane. i saw the seats! two of them were inoperative! (SHIT!) i'm going to the restroom, and i'm going to cry. then i'll figure what to do.

27 August 2005 ~ 1:00pm
and Allah is the best of all planners. i am on the third (and probably the final) leg of my weekend journay. crashed at byrd's house last night. slept late, but it appears that i will make the 2:40pm flight back home. What? (in the most sarcastic tone of life) a flight to kansas city that isn't full, go figure?!? i regretfully texted celena and told her i would not make it (sniff, sniff). but my prematurely purchased return ticket will not go to waste. jay is going to use it to come visit me =+). granted this is much sooner than either of us planned for him to be in kc, but something had to come of this episode. he had to pay a fee to change the ticket over, but he's coming. it's not my friend's wedding, but it's one hell of a consolation prize. i haven't told him about the lay over in atlanta yet (eek!); it's a few hours. i hope he's not pissed by the time he actually gets here.

No comments: