Monday, August 08, 2005

you know it's hard out here for a pimp....

why have the last two days felt like i was preparing for the first day of school? except even worse because i would be the only kid in my class? couldn't sleep and didn't really. returned the rental and came to a startling realization - it's hard out here for a pimp! (well, not really. i just wanted to say that). but seriously, with no dough to speak of i'm feeling really "grown up" right now. rent due. no ride. new city. no fam. it gets deep, but thankfully i can't really say that i'm on the grind. i'm working, but it's not intense yet. i do realize, after looking at some of the research and resource materials (aka "black people for dummies"), that i am in a significant position to input complexity and the beautiful nuances that make our culture so wonderful - at least i am training to be in that position soon. my colleagues seem really pleasant and my head supervisor is a spelmanite (i feel, i feel alright). my first meeting involved an area of cultural expertise that i do not yet have. i was glad for this because i have somthing to learn and it will keep me on my toes. the other two new-hires i met today were designers. we walked around and listened alot and received alot of paperwork. when i came to my division after lunch i had a desk covered with balloons and decorations and streamers and (you guessed it) cards. i'm glad i met some of these folks at a team get-together on saturday. i knew some names and it took the edge of. mad east coast heads, so i found a translator (ie Hy-Vee? oh, that's like ShopRite). i think i can get to like it here. tasha seems to think i can blow this city-town wide open. i hope i prove her right. shout out to the barracks rat....more to be said later....i saw hustle and flow; that analysis is coming soon....

4 comments:

a black girl said...

I'm so ready for the Hustle and Flow analysis. Let me know if I want to see it. I have high blood pressure you know. Anyway I MISS YOU!

And yeah man, I'm feeling you on the grown up thing but hey I keep telling myself this. This right now: this brokeness, this how am I gonna eatness is not yet grown upness because grown up is forever and I refuse to beleive that I will be worried about that for the rest of my life. This is the training period. The hard knocks lesson of financing, and fine tuning future fantasies of "how bad do you want your dreams?" and "are you willing to sacrifice passion for cash?" time. Not quite grown up time but "what kind of grown up are you gonna be?" time. Makes it all the more daunting, makes the choices aparent, but its a sammich I can chew on. Ya know?

Phoenix said...

you be da shit mayne. congratulations honey. i am so immensely proud of you!! loving you all the way mama!!

Alison said...

yay teresa.
Keep at it honey.

Alii

Anonymous said...

hang tight, teresa! you got it.