Tuesday, April 07, 2009

For 4 years, it sustained me...

This representation is a far cry from my first hand experience; it would take a long time to capture something so magical, so ephemeral. But once a month, nearly every month, for my four year tenure at Spelman I was a part of something so healing and empowering. It may seem strange, but I feel connected to every woman who ever shared this space with me - whether they only visited once or adopted the experience as ritual, like I did.

"Sisterfire"

We have this night and this space.
We can leave our worries/what-if's/weirdness
all outside, or we can bring them with us.
There is balm here--
and acceptance--
enough hands to hold you up
enough eyes to bare witness
enough mouths to call you blessed.
Sing, cry, laugh, ask, declare.
Give and receive love.
Our hands will be held and kissed. Our secrets are safe.
Embrace all of me, and I will take none of you for granted.
Hours upon hours we spend replenishing
ourselves and each other.
Conjuring the moon, staving off tomorrow--
and why not?
We could stop time if we so desire.
I breathe in the warmth of my sisters, myself,
and I am whole again.
In the daylight we go our separate ways,
bringing peace or waging war.
Fighting again to remember ourselves.
We must remember ourselves who are waiting for each other.
We may seldom cross paths. We may not speak or smile or nod...
But if I catch your glance, there will be recognition in your eyes
because we had that night in that space.


*line in italics is a beautiful direct quote from my little sister who can fly.

No comments: