Monday, April 06, 2009

Wild Child

NPM #6

I've had the first line of this poem for months, but I didn't know how to follow up. So I made another attempt tonight, after some unfortunate inspiration. I think that "sins of the father" line is probably weak. Also, I'm not sure whether I should break this into stanzas. I'll address that later.

"Wild Child"


Wild Child,
the woman who bore you can hardly bare you.
And it isn't fair to you that time has worn her patience thin
just as you truly begin to need her guidance.
I am not your mother.
But that doesn't afford me any fewer sleepless nights,
for trying to find ways to set your wrongs right.
They speak of sins of the father, but maybe
we've all sinned against you, Baby of the family.
We all should have nursed you.
Now your heart is malnourished-
I can hear it in your nonchalance.
Permission or punishment is met with the same
bitter indifference. You recite remorse for the listeners,
but there's really no repentance.


"It was stupid, know."
"Nobody can make me do anything."
"I don't want to do it again."
"It was wrong," you say, "but I don't see the problem."

No comments: