Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Love Poems...

It was inevitable.
***

NPM #23

"Love Speak Easy"

speak to me of love...
love is not so much magic
as it is maintenance
the determination of two
to practice continual bliss--
starting today is too late
for love began yesterday
in a place far away
where the stars play
and blow bubbles in their milk-
y way.
***

I will not tell a lie, I have already posted this poem as part of another post a few years back. I really like it's romantic and whimsical qualities. But this poem has caused me my share of grief. I wrote it while dating the high school Ex, and I kind of dedicated it to him. Fast forward and I started dating HomeBoy, at which time I showed/gave the poem to him.

Somehow, he discovered that I had dedicated the piece to the Ex, and HomeBoy did not take to kindly to this information. He huffed and puffed and whatnot; I don't remember how long he was pissed about it. Fast forward to now, and we've been together for nearly seven years and married for nearly three. So I guess he's forgiven me and gotten over it.

But here's the thing, there's a portion of this poem that was prophecy. When I wrote this piece for the Ex, it was largely speculative. The lines about magic and maintenance - about determination and practicing bliss - I didn't live that until HomeBoy came along. So yeah, Ex was the inspiration, but HomeBoy is the evidence.

And that's all I have to say about that. 
***

[edited to add]
Up way too late last night, but I caught Chrisette Michelle on VH1 Soul Stage.  Then I thought this would be the perfect addendum to this post.  Enjoy.

Love,
Me


No comments: