Thursday, April 02, 2009

National Poetry Month...

For NPM, I will try to post a piece of poetry every day - hopefully original writing. They will most likely be first drafts and they may not rock your world or change your life, but I promise to have fun writing them. It comes as no surprise to me that I am beginning this endeavor a day late, as April began yesterday. But the bright side is that today will get two! two! two posts for the price of one! Many thanks to the priestess for reminding me of this special month.

NPM #1

"Do Not"

do not take me for a ride

do not leave me standing there

do not take me to a beauty shop

to pretty up my hair.


do not take me to the movies

do not leave me on the street

do not take me to the circus

for a death-defying feat.


do not take me to a diner

do not leave me with the check

do not take me on to second base--

put hickies on my neck.


do not take me to the theater

do not leave me at a show

do not take me to a restaurant

then sneak out the window.


do not take me in your arms

do not leave me all alone

do not take my number down

then forget I have a phone.


do not take my hand in marriage

do not leave me on the aisle

do no take me to the in-laws’s house

and expect me to smile.


do not take my love for granted

do not leave me to my thoughts

do not take offense when I commence

to cheat and then get caught.


do not take me to our future

do not leave me in our past

do not take me any place but now

where love is bound to last.


do not take me anywhere at all

don’t leave me stranded so--

I belong here, in this moment,

so love me tight then let me go.

**

3 comments:

a black girl said...

i hear a song in this one.

teresa said...

acoustic guitar or a delicate piano.
a pensive, longing voice - adamant but indecisive.
i can dig it.

viridiansun said...

Teresa+Poetry Month= BRING IT!