Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Stream of Consciousness

Today was 80 degrees of "thank You, God!" good weather. I've been dreaming of the warmth since before the first snow of winter, and I didn't waste it. At the suggestion of a few homies and fellow KC transplants, HomeBoy and I went to a happy hour after work. Good location, good conversation and inexpensive, tasty food - it was a hump Wednesday trifecta! "We gotta take advantage of days like this," the homie says, "cause when the fall roles around, we're gonna wonder where the time went." I couldn't agree more.

We got home a few hours later, and I started channel surfing a bit. Turning on the television probably keeps the muses at bay. So this is pretty much what came to my mind during commercial breaks, but I didn't want to skip another day. I just wrote about what was on my mind, and I actually like a few of the lines. How about that?
***

NPM #16

"Sol Cantina"

pre-summer sun
melts into mild, warm night
beautiful enough to transform 5pm on a Wednesday into a happy hour
outdoor dining - your finest patio, please

sometimes last minute
is the best way to live in the moment
sometimes poetry
is happening
right
now
***

I can't figure out how to break the third line. It's a mouthful, sure, but when I split it, it weakens a bit. That may be the least of this poem's problem, but I'll revisit that in May. In the meantime - forging on...

No comments: