Saturday, April 25, 2009

Two! Two! Two for the Price of One

Boo on me. I didn't get back online last night to post. But in my (paranoid, unnecessary) defense, I did write these yesterday. I actually wrote two form poems, haiku and limerick. The wonderful arrival of spring is the inspiration for both of them. The limerick is silly; the haiku, less so.

The limerick is five lives of verse that follow the rhyme scheme of AABBA. It is an English form, as far as I know, and the content is usually humorous or bawdy - both if it's a really good one. I checked a source or two to confirm the typical content of limericks. Here all this time I thought it was just me. Mine doesn't go so bawdy, but it is a little silly.
***

NPM #19

"Spring"

Finally, spring has sprung open,
after so many wishin' and hopin'.
Now life will be sweet
in five months of bare feet.
Look down if you think that I'm jokin'!



The haiku is a Japanese form. In English it is usually written with three lines and 17 syllables. The first and third line have five syllables and the second line has seven. The content is often about nature or the seasons. I have to admit, this haiku has changed a lot since yesterday. Even as I typed it, I changed things.
***

NPM # 20

Green buds, no larger
than my finger, genuflect
then reach for the sun.

No comments: