Saturday, April 18, 2009

Had Fun Writing This One

This was one in a small collection of poems that I sent to a friend of mine who is also an editor. She works for a newspaper back home on the East Coast, and I remember feeling really special because she gave me all these detailed notes and great suggestions. So, I want to give her partial credit for this piece; she rearranged some things and it's a quicker read thanks to her. The line breaks look a little funky to me, but that could just be the whole greeting card experience thing.

NPM #14

"Stereotype"

A gentleman asked me once
if I was a feminist.

As I lifted my arm
to scratch my head and ponder his question,
exposing the mane beneath my shoulder,

He told me never mind.
Said he already knew
the answer.
***

I just realized how ironic it is that I refer to the male at the beginning of this piece as a "gentleman". In real life, I'd probably give him a far less savory title. Ha!

2 comments:

wild cowgirl said...

this is funny.

teresa said...

why, thank you. (i thought it was just me.)